Welcome to KuKluxKlan.net.Here you will find the most comprehensive list of articles on the ku klux klan to date. This site exists to inform you the viewer of every aspect of this infamous organization that still haunts and inspires individuals from every walk of life. So if you are looking to write a research paper, an avid fan, or just looking to brush up on a little bit of history you have found the right place. Our site strives to provide an objectional and factual perspective on this organization free of bias or ill intention. If this is your first time visiting this site you might just wonder who are the Ku Klux Klan and what do they stand for. Below I have provided you the viewer with just a brief summary on the infamous organization known as the Ku Klux Klan. Enjoy your stay and I hope that all the information you need on the Ku Klux Klan will be encompassed within our pages. We are an interactive community and always welcome your input. Feel free to do so using the comment fields provided below.
THE KU KLUX KLAN: The Organization
Ku Klux Klan at its height
The Ku Klux Klan is a white supremacist organization that advocates white nationalism and racial segregation. They believe that only white, heterosexual Christians should have civil rights.
This organization first incarnation and founding Klan started by four civil war veterans from Pulaski, Tennessee in 1865. These Confederate veterans from the South were all about helping the widows and orphans after the war. However, the organization turned to violence and extreme acts of terrorism by the 1870s.
In the second and third incarnation of the KKK, the hate and violent acts continued with their focus diversifying to other groups of individuals apart from the African-American freedmen and white Americans who helped abolish slavery in the United States. Jews, Catholics, homosexuals, bi-racial and immigrants became their targets as well.
ku klux klan rank and file
The Ku Klux Klan is an organized brotherhood that believed to have an approximately 5,000 members to date.
Below is a schematic diagram outlining the organizational structure of the Klan in national and local levels:
Grand Wizard of the Empire Ten Genii
Grand Dragon of the Realm Eight Hydras
Grand Titan of the Dominion Six Furies
Grand Giant of the Province Four Goblins
Grand Cyclops of the Den Two Night Hawks
Grand Monk Grand Exchequer Grand Turk Grand Sentinel
- Grand Wizard of the Empire. He is the Klan’s national leader. He is assisted by ten men called the Genii.
- Grand Magi. He is the vice-president of the Klan and can act as deputy wizard when the Imperial Wizard is not around.
- Grand Scribe. He is the secretary of the Klan. He takes note during meetings and detailed accounts of proceedings.
- Grand Dragon of the Realm. He presides over the state assigned to him called “realms.” He has eight men assisting him called the Hydras.
- Grand Titan of the Dominion. He governs over a dominion or territory. In the sates, he presides over several counties in a state and he is assisted by six men called the Furies.
- Grand Giant of the Province. He governs over a county or province and has four men assisting him called Goblins.
- Grand Cyclops of the Den. He governs an individual “den” or chapter and assisted by two men called Night Hawks or messengers.
- Grand Monk. He’s the third in command of a Den.
- Grand Turk. He serves as a marshal and executive officer of the Grand Cyclops. He’s also the master of ceremonies in a Den.
- Grand Sentinel. He presides over the grand guards or Lictors.
- Grand Guards or Lictors. These are guards during Den meetings.
- Grand Exchequer. They serve as the treasurers of the Klan.
- Ghouls. A name that refers to all members of the Klan.
ku klux klan ceremony
In the incarnation of the Klan, some of the names of positions were changed and there were several additional positions in the structure as well. Klan members devised several words that usually start with kl-. This might be for security reasons and to hide their identities. They are:
- Imperial Wizard. The national leader or president of the Klan.
- Imperial Klonsel. He acts as the supreme attorney of the Klan.
- Imperial Kleagle. He serves as an executive and receives reports from the Grand Goblins.
- Grand Goblin. Replacing the name Grand Titan, he presides over a “Dominion” or a multi-state area. There are 9 Dominion headquarters that can be found in Atlanta, St. Louis, Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington DC, Boston, New York, and Philadelphia.
- King Kleagle. Replacing the name Grand Dragon, he governs over a state or “realm.”
- Kleagle. A term used for field organizers in a certain “realm” or territory.
- Exalted Cyclops. Replaced the title Grand Cyclops, he still governs a “Den” or a klavern.
- Klaliff. He’s the right hand man or vice-president of a klavern.
- Klokard. A Klan lecturer.
- Kligrapp. Replacing the term scribe, they serve as a secretaries.
- Klabee. Replacing the term “exchequer,” they’re Klan treasurers.
- Klarogo. A term used for inner guards.
- Klexter. A term used for outer guards.
- Night Hawks. In-change of recruiting new members/candidates.
Ku Klux Klan Membership Openings
Recruiting members has been successful throughout the United States and Canada whenever there is a non-white related issue. Some misgivings about Klan members being ignorant farmers are untrue. Members are usually from the working class, middle class or even professional ranks. They are predominantly Protestants, operating under a profit-making business venture by requiring new members to pay initiation fees and buy Klan costumes (conical hats and robes). Half of the fee will then be sent to the state and national officials.
Membership in the Ku Klux Klan, like other secret societies, used to be a secret. Like all secret organizations, members are taught signs they can use to recognize each other. They use the acronym AYAK (Are you a Klansman?) in greeting. In response, another member would say AKIA (A Klansman I am).
Since it was founded, the total number of members has fluctuated through the years. Below is a chart of the approximate number of members in different time periods in the first, second and third incarnation of the Klan.
Ku Klux Klan robes
Throughout the years, the Ku Klux Klan has coined words they use within the organization. These words usually start with kl- making the words come out with a clucking sound.
Here are examples of these words.
Klabee – a term used for Klan treasurers, replacing exchequer.
Klavern – a “Den” or local chapter
Imperial Kleagle – the Klan recruiter
Klecktoken – membership initiation fee
Kligrapp – a Klan “Den” secretary.
Klonvocation – a Klan gathering
Kloran – the Klan ritual book
Kloreroe – delegate
Kludd – the Klan chaplain
Kluxer – a Klan member.
Ku Kluxer – a Klan member.
Klux Klanner – a Klan member.
Current KKK Organizations
- Bayou Knights of the Ku Klux Klan – prevalent in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and other areas of the Southeastern U.S.
- Church of the American Knights of the Ku Klux Klan –the most active Klan in the U.S. led by Jeff Berry from Butler, Indiana.
- Imperial Klans of America – a pro-white organization since 1997.
- Knights of the White Camelia – established in 1870, this secret group still exists in the deep South.
- Knights of the Ku Klux Klan – it is the biggest Klan in the U.S. today. Founded in 2005 by national director Thom Robb, it is based in Harrison, Arkansas.
This site is meant to reflect the Ku Klux Klan in a historically objective perspective. Here we have organized comprehensive articles on the Ku Klux Klan that you the viewer may use as a reference to the organization known as the Ku Klux Klan. Here at kukluxklan.net we strive to provide you with the most historically accurate information we can. Please if you feel as if any of the information found within these pages is inaccurate or misconstrued please do not hesitate to contact us using the contact form below or by emailing email@example.com. We would like to again reiterate that we are a historical reference site and are in no way associated with the Ku Klux Klan. Furthermore we do not condone using the materials found on this site to promote hate in any way shape or form.